Nov 5, 2011

Manda's Century: Fear and Adjustments

I got to say, I'm feeling a little more wary of upping my short-ride. I had some hip pain, finger pain and rib pain reminiscent of my Bartonella infection. My general tiredness was more profound and I know it's my body saying, "Hey. Take it easy on me. I've been though some stuff."

With that said, this week I decided to aim for just under 10 miles rather than sticking to my 10+ short rides. I still have to get out of bed and be a productive (yet snarky) person.

My Halloween run was chilly! My winter gear works great but I need a face mask because my face was really, really cold!


My first ride in November proved was far less chilly - I also scared a whole Asian family who was taking up the whole path. And two little puppies who got scared. And possibly a son and Dad combo having a heart-to-heart. . .Man, I'm a jerk.


I did surprise myself with the long ride, I hadn't thought I would be perky for much more than 20 miles. Of course, the last ride, I did not use one of my energy gels around the 10 mile mark - I happen to like the Cliff brand gel shots mostly anything coffee flavored, not fruit flavored.


I slightly question my mileage because RunKeeper said my bike-buddy and I did about 65 miles due to my GPS being off. But, at home, I easily edited out the map because you could see the red lines right before our start area. It was an easy edit.

I love RunKeeper, but, sometimes it is a pain to edit. I suppose I can blame a "slow computer" but I also blame RunKeeper for tracking your route based on a million zillion little dots. If your GPS screwed up, you go in to manual edit your route and suddenly, 5 hours later, you want to kill someone. Plus, the map is slow. They need a better, sleeker interface. At least, I think.

Lessons Learned
I was running some of my fears and thoughts about my biking journey on the long-ride with my bike buddy and got some really good advice. She wisely pointed out, it's harder to book miles in the winter. The cold can be brutal. She was so right. Not that it's that cold. It's like when we did 20 miles in at high-noon in 104 degree heat and it felt like we did 500 miles - the cold does impact you.

I live in this world where the only thing limiting me is myself. That what I do anyone could do in a heartbeat with a hangover at anytime.

She was very right and I felt better.

Personal Thoughts
I holding back a little on my training for another important reason; with a bought of pretty painful rib-hip-finger pain, chronically twitching eye and newly (they use to twitch a lot, then they stopped) twitching toes, I found myself worrying about relapse.

I caught myself asking, "Is that all I get? One year?"

Just as a reminder, it was in December 2010 I got my all-clear.

If all I got was one year, it would have been a Hell of a year. I would have biked about 700 miles. I would have gotten out and dated. I would have mourned the death of the doctor who saved my life. I would have started this blog. I would have made an awesome bike-buddy (and totally awesome off-the-bike) friend. I would have organized my bathroom. I would have found out I have food sensitives. I would have been able to love and support two little ratties until the end. I would have learned how easy and delicious making popcorn on the stove top is. I would have been a flawed by good friend to those I care about.

Logic states I probably am just working on figuring out my own limits with my Adrenal Fatigue and system recovery. It also states I have gone through this five times before - I'm like a pro.

You know - you can do a lot in a year. If this was the year I got, I would be pretty happy with it.

Of course, if I got more than a year - that would be awesome because I got a lot of stuff I got to do! Like do a Century Ride.

Manda's Century
You can follow my biking adventures by checking out my Mandas Century Ride page. It lists (in convenient bullet form) the lessons I have learned and has links to each of my biking related posts.


Be Part of the Adventure
Do you have a suggestion or want to see me attempt something? Drop me an email at AdventuringAmanda@gmail.com with your suggestion.

0 comments:

Post a Comment