Apr 8, 2016

Things I Eat: Duck Tacos with Cilantro Dressing

I love duck. However, duck is small and expensive.

Whatever. Duck tacos!

What You Need

  • 2lbs duck legs and thighs, bone in: It's expensive. 
  • 1 bunch cilantro: Fresh!
  • 2-3 Scallions: I got quality BIG ones. I used two.
  • 2 cups chicken stock: You could actually also use beer. I can't have beer.
  • Onion: I used one big onion.
  • Garlic: Can you ever have too much?
  • Tortillas: I used sprouted corn tortillas from Food for Life.
  • Bacon grease: Optional! I made bacon for breakfast and just put the grease in my French Oven for dinner.
  • Lime: Optional! I added some lime to my dressing thingy.

What You Do
Start by browning the duck. I think I could have browned it better. I followed directions by letting it sit for 4 minutes in my pan. Duck is delicious.


Once it was done on one side, I threw in the onions. Maybe I was suppose to put the onions in first. Or maybe after. I was. . .you know. .whatever. It all cooks together for about 40 minutes.


 And flip! I think I should have browned it a little longer? I'm not sure.


Great! Now to add in about 2 cups of chicken stock and I also put in the garlic. Duck is very flavorful on it's own and also fatty so you don't need to do a lot with it. It's not bland, that's for sure.



Ok, let this simmer like a champ for like an hour. You want the meat to be falling off the bones. My husband was hungry so I failed at 40 minutes of cook time and manually cutting the meat off the bone. Just saying.

The other thing you want to do is making your super-special topping. Get out a food processor and cut up your bunch of cilantro and green onions and add some garlic and olive oil. I used Bella Olive's Milanese Gremolata for added flare. You know. Live dangerously.

I don't think you need to chop anything. . but. .I have a small processor.


Blend until smooth! You could probably even put in some spinach or something, if you wanted. It's delicious. Unless you don't like these flavors, then it will be bad.


I got these Sprouted Corn Tortillas which I warmed with a damp paper-towel in the microwave for about 30 seconds. Then I assembled by putting the dressing on the tortilla then spinach and meat. My presentation is. . .not that good. Oh, I also made rice.



The food was good. I wish I had cooked the duck a little longer. I really liked the scallion-cilantro dressing thing. Duck is expensive so I feel like I did not do my money justice. It was a rough day, though.

I did save the broth and bones of the duck. I will be making another meal from it. :)

post signature

0 comments:

Post a Comment