May 4, 2015

Bike Training: Rock Bottom

Remember when I rode 4.5 miles on my bike and wanted to die? Yeah, it’s that time. . .

So begins bike training! That’s right, I have a hankering for a century in October (that’s 100 miles on a bike in one day). I will be riding in the MS City to Shore and I’m even assembling a team. My team consists of one person. . me.

I will be giving updates on my bike training and fundraising. Let’s chat about the form of these thingsy!

Fundraising
I currently have raised $265.00 toward my $500 goal. It takes $300 to be able to ride – so I’m totally on target because I have super generous friends. I like to throw $10-$25 bucks to people when they are supporting worthy causes and a lot of time they repay.

Training
I will be riding Tuesday, Thursdays and Saturdays. I know, I know, totally cuts into Thirsty Thursday, but, it’s a small price to pay. I’ll get drunk on Wednesday.

Of course, I can’t drink while I’m on this anti-fungal stuff for my gut. It has a disulfiram-like property which means it makes you want to die if you drink alcohol. Whatever.

This is my ride stuff so far - first, my two short rides. Nothing dramatic here. These tend to be hilly rides, so, I am less concerned with my speed. These build my cardio and resilience.


And for my long ride - always double the goal of the short ride. In this case, I'm doing 5 miles for my short so 10 miles for the long.




Eating
No lie, I got a lot of issues eating. Afraid to eat, food sensitivities. . .stuff. I still haven’t felt hungry with any consistency so – ick.

Eating is pretty important when you are in training. While my century is an “easy” century, I do need to fuel my body right and at the right times. Calories are fuel – proteins and fats help me grow stronger and repair damages. I have been doing a little research on stuff I can eat and I’ll have to start making batches of food for easy consumption after and before rides.

Current and Future Thoughts
I am going to try to keep up a regular core routine – just some stuff I can do in my living room to help strengthen my core, back and arms. It’s never a bad idea. I will even try to get the husband involved.


0 comments:

Post a Comment