Jan 9, 2015

Things I Eat: Pizza

Pizza for dinner?

Yeah. Pizza. I really came up with this idea when I found brown rice tortillas that are 100% eatable in my world! What better crust for pizza, right? I mean, they don't really roll like for a wrap or something. They are good as bread substitute, though. Bonus, I can eat it like a squirrel.



I assume I can get on some high-horse by saying this is healthy for you and all that – but, we both know this isn’t normal person pizza. This is my pizza. Maybe it won’t replace your favorite pizza spot but it might find its way into your heart and tummy.

I have two major issues with pizza. Ok, like, 500. Dairy and yeast. And wheat. Yeah, those are the majors. So, I invented my own. Checking this out on the Interwebz after I ate a bunch of these proves, however, I did not invent it. Really.

I have mentioned I occasionally get the American Flatbread: Vegan Harvest - but it has yeast, wheat and canola in it. I need something better for my poor tummy.


What You Need

  • Brown rice tortillas: I got these at Whole Foods in the frozen food section. They are also available at Trader Joes
  • Tomato paste: @#$% that sauce. I want thick, rich, potent tomato stuff. 
  • Seasonings: I did oregano, garlic and paprika which sings pizza to me. I also used some basil oil.
  • Toppings: I did red, yellow and green peppers with onion.




What You Do
First, I sauted up my onions and peppers in some basil oil and olive oil. I never pass a chance to add a little more favor. And I also preheated my toaster oven.



You could actually make this in a cast iron skillet or if you have a Dutch oven, you could cook up your pizza there. I did mine in the toaster over for less mess.

Next, I got out my tortilla and painted on that hearty tomato paste. If you are not into rich flavors and joy, you could use whatever pizza sauce you like. Then I layered on the garlic, oregano and paprika.



Once my veggies were tender, I loaded them on and popped this into the toaster (after I little more sprinkling of seasonings, let's be honest). I found I got the most delightful crust at about 400 degrees for about 7-10 minutes. You can play around with timing to get the consistence of crust you want.



Likewise, in a cast iron pot, you would probably slather the bottom with olive oil and cook it up until it was a crunchy or tender as you would like. If you choose to do this in a cast iron, you can make a deep dish – make sure the sides of the tortilla cure up against the sides of the pan or pot and fill, fill fill!

Either way, I cut everything up into little triangles (points for not shoving it all into my mouth).


Sure, if you can have dairy, you can add whatever cheese you want. Previously, when I made this, I made one for my husband and put some Swiss cheese on it, he liked it.


My husband was out of town this night, so, I had all this great food to myself. I paired it with some lemon-mango-ade-Bourbon. Nice!


I think I get a lot of happiness from the tomato paste and seasoning. The veggies have always been a favorite of mine. I could get some vegan cheese, but, then I would be consuming some things I shouldn't like canola and soy.

This is actually pretty cheap to make, I might add. And because the tortillas are small, you can make a couple varieties. I'm all about that.


0 comments:

Post a Comment