Mar 3, 2012

Manda's Century: Training Begins!

What happened to my bike riding adventures? They were on hold for a while due to the weather and then due to an adrenal crash I was working on fighting off in December. Now it's March and it's time to get serious. I broke my plan into a couple key areas:
  • Food.
  • Supplements and nutrition.
  • Biking and cross-training.
  • Weight training. 
Food
Because I can be stubborn, even with myself, I started paying more attention to what I was eating and why. I lost 7lbs while focusing on infusing my diet with awesomely healthy foods. I have become a huge fan of roasting bulk chicken breasts Sunday night and keeping them for lunch and dinner. Then I got bags of spinach, peas, corn, green beans, carrots and a pepper mix to mix with the chicken. I even do rice noodle pasta with some chicken in it or chicken tacos. It's really working for me!

I also have been eating more fruit. I try to get in a couple small apples a day, an orange here and there and pears. This keeps me pretty happy.

I live like a poor bachelor
Supplements and Nutrition
It's not a huge leap to get the fact I can have "problems" with food. I can make a dinner of a couple strips of bacon or not really eat anything and then maybe enjoy some pretzels and quso dip. I can easily  not eat enough calories in a day and easily not eat the right types of food to keep the charming engine that is me working at full potential.

With that said, I also am working on taking supplements to focus on where my diet is lacking and to address my special issues. I did find when I stopped taking my supplements, things started to crash, so I am happy to report I have stopped taking my medication but have been consistently taking my supplements. Here's what I do:
  • Adrene-Vive
  • Vitamin D.
  • Calcium Citrate.
  • MultiVites (yummy gummies!)
  • Green tea. 
  • Green drink (Trader Joe's brand).
Biking and Cross Training
Good to have!
I booked about 10 miles in January, which is a pretty low amount. However, I did learn that I am not as tough as I seem. Riding in the cold of December and January cut into me like nothing else. In fact, for weeks after my feet and toes would twitch in painful ways. I figured it was better to hold off on riding while I regrouped and recovered.

I decided to also build some cross-training into my routine with walking. I got 5 miles in today and I'm feeling pretty good about it. I wouldn't mind getting back into intervals now that it is lighter out. I really enjoying biking more than walking or running - good thing I have a buddy who will walk with me!


Also, my job offers a free gym!

Weight Training
Getting buff!
I did acquire a basic free-weight set and other than losing my motivation as he final throw of the crash. I am excited to start lifting a little to tone up and build a little muscle. It has been years since I have been able to lift and I think it is a good step.


Manda's Century


You can follow my biking adventures by checking out my Manda's Century Ride page. It lists (in convenient bullet form) the lessons I have learned and has links to each of my biking related posts.

Be Part of the Adventure
Do you have a suggestion or want to see me attempt something? Drop me an email at AdventuringAmanda@gmail.com with your suggestion.

0 comments:

Post a Comment