Mar 13, 2015

Things I Eat: Molasses Pecan Cookies

The spouse and I decided “balls” is not a good thing to announcing that you are eating in mixed company. So, I dug around and got out some cookie cutters I had. Why do I have cookie cutters? I use to be hopeful about my skills in life.

Anyhow, my desire for molasses has not dulled. Will it ever? No. My desire for it is strong and all consuming. Is drinking molasses out of the container an ok way to deal with this desire?

Don’t tell me how to live.

What I do get asked is “how much of this stuff do I need?” I don’t know – how much LOVE do you need? How much HOPE do you blend?

Seriously, I’m not like a fully functioning human.

What You Need

  • Walnuts (16oz): The actual nut in this concoction is the walnut. Sorry if that is weird. I love walnuts. I used about 16oz, which is a normal sized shelled walnuts bag, I believe.
  • Dates (16oz): Sweet, sticky dates. I got a pack from Trader Joe’s!
  • Blackstrap Molasses: My lips might have been on it. . . a little. You want to get blackstrap and make sure it says "Unsulphured." I used this Organic Molasses thing.
  • Cinnamon: Yeah, like. .all over. 
  • Maple Syrup: The love kitten brought me back MORE syrup from Vermont so I HAVE to use up what I got. Totally. 
  • Coconut Oil: Eating this out of the jar is surprisingly unsatisfying. 


What You Do
You know, dump everything into your food processor and pulse the crap out of it.

I made sure this dough was extra dense because I was going to be managing it like a cookie dough. I made sure to let it blend for a little extra time and used a little more date action.

Once it was done, I threw it on my cutting board and rolled it out. I was worried it was going to stick to the board, but, it behaved really well. You could always use a little spatula or something to ease ‘em up if you roll with too much passion. I rolled pretty gently and just to flatten it out.

Then I cut them with my cookie cutter and pressed a pecan into the top for a charming visual display. I think my presentation for this recipe  makes up for the lack of pictures of the steps.



One day. .ONE DAY. . .I will make something that looks appetizing to the world. For right now, my hubs was crazy about these cookies and we pretty much ate them all pretty fast. Because of the date content, they are very dense so you fill up pretty fast.

Bonus points.


0 comments:

Post a Comment