Sep 26, 2014

Things I Eat: Fast Food Edition

Fast food is a weird thing for me. It’s easier for me to make something myself than try to order something – easier and often cheaper. However, sometimes, I just want something prepackaged and ready for me. It’s hard for me to find these items because of the mass of things I cannot eat.

That doesn't mean I make everything from scratch.

Here are some things I buy and eat - they are processed, they aren't 100% great for me, but. . sometimes a girl is hungover.

And let's face it, no one is making me food all the time and I can't go out all the time.

Food Should Taste Good
I love and agree with the company Food Should Taste Good. These chips are super simple. They can even print all the ingredients in big, understandable print. They have even started making more boil, eye catching type prints to alert people what is up with the clips so you can get the one your tummy will love the best.

My favor is the Sweet Potato Chips - me and my cat, Lucky, really like them and because it's just sweet potato, it's not bad for him to eat, either. Sweet potato is good for both cats and dogs - in moderation. So, when Lucky swipes a chip, I'm not too worried.

He knows the sound of the bag. That's. .weird.

While I can have normal potato chips - as long as they are not fried in canola oil, I often have to put chips down because they are cooked in "vegetable oil" which can include things I cannot have.

These are cooked in sunflower oil. And with salt. End of story. They are thick and delicious and I eat a whole bag in the car from the grocery store.

Buckwheat Wildberry Frozen Waffles
Buckwheat Wildberry Frozen Waffles! I am a fan of buckwheat and I make my own buckwheat pancakes. Buckwheat can be a bit of an acquired taste but it’s very healthy and even though “wheat” is in the name, it’s actually ground from buckwheat goats which is a fruit. It is wheat and gluten free.

Buckwheat is a fruit. Got it? Life is weird.

These waffles retail in my world for about $3-$4 for a total of 6 waffles. Not exactly a lot – about .66 cents per waffle. You can go nuts with the calculations. I didn't. Sorta.

These are not super healthy. The buckwheat flour is in there, but, it’s blended with potato flours. Nothing bad about that, but, it makes it more palatable for those who don’t have a “buckwheat tooth.” Trust me, if you had real buckwheat next to these, you’d totally be able to tell. For about 100 calories per waffle you don’t have a ton of nutrition. But, for taste and convince, this isn't too bad!

That aside – the taste is delightful sweet without being fake. They really jam some sweet fruit tones in there – which is AOK with me! You probably don’t need a lot of syrup – in fact, mine was almost two sweet with the dates and syrup.

In fact, Nature’s Path tends to rate very highly in taste across the board. So, two thumbs up.



American Flatbread: Vegan Harvest
Pizza for me thanks to American Flatbread Vegan Harvest!
Prepackaged goodness! Holy gob-stoppers, Batman, a pizza for my pizza-craving needs.

Yes – I know, this pizza has wheat and yeast and I need to avoid wheat and yeast.

However, in avoiding wheat on the daily-dillilo means I can sort of slide a little once in a while. It's sort of how us food allergy people live.

On the edge!

I can pop this in my toaster oven for about 7 minutes at 425 degrees and be done with it.

I have not gotten the cheese to melt awesomely, though. It is the Daiya Cheese which is processed but might be one of the best soy-free cheeses out there for those of us with special issues when it comes to fake cheese. It does get melty, but, sometimes it retains its shredded shapes.

I have found the crust crisps up nicely but sometimes it’s in patches. That might just be my toaster oven. I don’t mind having some crispy crust bits and chewy innards.

This is actually a pretty good pizza. As someone who has eaten a lot of artisan pizza and homemade pizza, I think this stacks up pretty good for a frozen pizza.I normally put on some oregano or garlic or you could totally add any veggies you wanted to dress it up. It would give it more nutrition.

However, on it's on, it's a nice cheesey pizza.

Yes, I'm always this ridiculous. 

Earth Balance: Buttery Spread
When I learned I couldn't process dairy, I didn't have a total meltdown or spend my days crying softly about my lack of ice cream and brie. I mean, dairy doesn't awful things to me - I don't love it. It was a bad relationship that turned abusive. I don't miss it. 

That much.

As an extra issue, most "non-dairy" things are made with soy - which I can't have. Then Earth Balance came along and made Earth Balance: Soy Free Buttery Spread. I use this the same way you all would use butter. Not that I bake often, but, if I was making biscuits, I would use this like butter. Or use it on my pancakes. Or in mashed potatoes.

It is processed. It's got a lot of stuff in it. But, for a tablespoon here and there, it is well worth it for me.

Trader Joe's Chicken Sausage
Fully cooked, healthy chicken sausage with bold flavors?! YES. Just because I am a vegan on a part-time
basis, doesn't mean I don't eat meat.

I am not actually a vegan, I just have to eat like one a lot. Meat is an important part of my diet. Just, not everyday. While some people encourage me to totally go vegan - in order for me to get the right nutrition, I do need meat.

I love these chicken sausages - mostly I get the sun-dried tomato or garlic flavored ones. Some DO have cheese in them, I avoid those. Since these are fully cooked, it's easy to add to pasta or just warm up with some saute peppers.




Image Credit
I really slacked on keeping track - sorry everyone.
Sicken sausage from socalnw.com

0 comments:

Post a Comment