Aug 20, 2014

Makeup on my Faceup

I don’t wear a ton of makeup but I do enjoy playing around with it and I like getting foxed-out when I have a fancy place to go. Or on a weekend.

I look a lot different on the weekends then when at work - on both ends of that spectrum. Either really dumpy or really foxy.

Or. . .attempted foxy.

I recently decided I am not in love with the makeup routine I have and I wanted to try some different things. Often, I operate in a vacuum without any advice from anyone who keeps in step with makeup products or trends. A lot of time, retail people are not super-helpful, either.

When I see pictures of myself - I'm cool with not looking done up. There are a lot of of pictures of my naked face around. However, when I know I tried to use some makeup and look like I didn't even try - that's a problem.

I took of myself and I was horrified because I am wearing makeup and I look destoryed!

As a wise woman once told me - You know when you feel real crappy, you should try to dress up more to make yourself at least feel a little better on the outside.

So, I looked at what I currently use and why:

  • ProActiv (original wash, toner & moisturizer): I have acne and bad skin, in general. This really helps and I have even been using the toner on my chest and back (skin, bad!) with great results. You can read my take on this wonderful product by reading my Try Proactiv post.
  • Boots No7: I used an eye cream. It wasn't great. It was very watery and I didn't notice any difference. I often don’t use any eye cream or moisturizer because I have oily skin that takes care of itself AND nothing does anything. I think they are all lies. Yet, I feel better when I use one like a real adult. 
  • Trader Joe's Nourish Antioxidant Facial Serum: I don’t know. It was $10 and I use it all over my face and it made my skin smooth. I actually used it with the No7 eye cream all over my face because the eye cream was so watery. Basically, I don't always use products correctly.
  • NARS Smudge Proof Eyeshadow Base: I found primer is a remarkable thing! Everyone should use it. It keeps stuff on your face. I like this one because it is not tinted - it is also in a tube like a mascara tube so it fits into my little cup of stuff nicely.
  • Stila Consealer: I have used their stuff for ages even though I am still pretty self-conscience about my dark eye circles. I guess feeling like I am doing something is better than doing nothing. It's very thick and sometimes I apply it with a moisturizer -  like the Boots stuff - to make it easier on my skin.
  • L'Oreal Paris Infallible Eye Shadow (Bronzed taupe): I wanted to stick to darker, smokey type colors. I use to use the L'Oreal Paris HiP Studio Secrets Professional Metallic Shadow Duo line, but, I can’t find my colors anymore. I liked the two colors together in one little pack. Once I ran out of the lighter color, I just used the darker one on my whole eye and that’s why I just bought another, single dark shade. 
  • Maybelline 'Great Lash' Mascara: It always been the one I use. I’m ok with it. Normally, I have it so long it runs out and I don’t notice. Good? No. It is a cult favorite.

That’s about it. Anyhow, I figured it’s time to maybe look into a tinted moisturizer since I’m getting older and something. .better. I don’t like my dark circles, I don’t like how my eye shadow fades or ends up under my eye. I feel like I lack eye definition and everything looks tired and dark.

Which is, incidentally, how I feel about life 95% of the time.

By the way, I put my makeup on almost solely by my hands. I know there are 5 billions brushes and reasons NOT to do this - probably so the beauty industry can make more money for the 500 brushes you need to purchase with the makeup you buy - but I do it with my hands. I think I only use a brush for gel eyeliner and blush (which I don't often use).

Yep. I'm hands on, baby.

New Makeup
I ended up going to Blue Mercury which I had never been to before to check out what they got. I am always nervous about asking the retail people for help.

Most of the time, they are selling a specific brand or item on commission or they don’t know anything about what works. Sometimes, they don’t even ask questions. I don’t know – I’m shopping for makeup because I’m self-conscience and I need some help, right?

The lady's there were so sweet and helpful. Sure, some stuff didn't work out but when I came back they helped me out and got me back on the right track. Excellent!

Concealer
First up. I need something for those dark circles. I felt bad being disloyal to Stila  . .but. . then again, not really. I figured I might as well be open to everything. That's a lie. I don't like to use powder - even to set things - but I do have some. I have used a little under my eye to help the concealer out. I'm not sure it makes any difference other than getting into my eyes at odd times.

They ended up giving me this Bobbi Brown concealer but instead of both of them, just the correcter, I think. It made me look like I had white paint under my eye. I returned it

During my return, they showed me Trish McEvoy Eye Base Essentials which was a lot smoother and creamery than the Stila stuff I was using. Sometimes, I feel the concealer pulling on my skin when I put it on.

Urg.

However, I found the Trish stuff was a super-awesome concealer for me and I do notice a difference. It won't do much for the eye bags of depression, but, it does good with the dark circles of fatigue.

There is a whole "triangle of light" you are suppose to use with this - some type of technique. . .but, I'm good with using my fingers to smear it on my dark spots.

Foundation
They suggested a tube of Clinique Stay-Matte Oil-Free Makeup.

I thought I would return it because I wanted a tinted moisturizer, not an actual foundation. I felt rage. I felt cheated.

OH THE HUMANITY!

But mixing it with my ProActiv moisturizer worked just fine!

I was amazed how well it blended and how it didn't look like I had anything on – yet, gave me some coverage. It didn't feel heavy or weird on my skin, which is why I generally avoid any foundations. I can tap a little extra under my eyes and on my face explosions.

Really impressed with how it blends. I do rub it all down my neck and under my jaw line, but, seriously, super easy and nice. While I apply this with my hands in a very unprofessional and face-rubbing way, I do have the proper brush and if I needed to be really fancy I would use it on the brush by itself and no moisturizer for extreme coverage.

God help the world when that day comes.

Eyeshadow
For a new eyeshadow – well, I ended up going on impulse and getting something that sounded cool from Wallgreens or CVS or something.

I had been looking at this tattoo stuff because tattoo is a cool word so I bought the Maybelline Eye Studio Color Tattoo Eyeshadow. I have never, ever used a cream based eye shadow.

I am in love.

Deep, deep love.

Like, why didn't someone tell me about cream eye shadows before? It solves like 100% of my problems!

I don’t have to deal with the color dropping on my cheek or falling under my eye to enhance my dark circle. The color is also rich, so, I don’t have to layer and layer and layer to get a hint of color. It lasts all day and comes off pretty easily with my CVS makeup wipes.

I’m in love.

If Maybelline discontinues this line, I am going to take my heartbreak to Twitter.

I have the Gold Rush, Barely Branded (great highlight or by itself) Inked in Pink (which I wear a lot) and Bad to the Bronze (which I also wear almost everyday but more so than the pink).

The eyeshadow does blend well and you can use a powder shadow over it. I used the tattoo gold with my black powder eyeshadow once.

Mascara
Time for a new one! I ended up getting Maybelline Illegal Length Mascara which has fibers and stuff. I was worried about the fibers and about how fast it would dry. I have not seen a lot of fiber just flying around - or ended up on my cheeks.

I thought the Great Lash type dried the fastest around and I always had lines where my eyelashes touched my cheeks.

It gives my lashes a nice boost and I am really happy with it. I normally only use one coat of mascara for my everyday - I have tried a couple coats of this to see when it would be a problem and haven't come across any. I think this is a good find for me!

Eyeliner (Reboot!)
I stopped using eyeliner because of my dark circles – I felt it was more blackness that fell under my eyes.

YES I HAVE A COMPLEX.

I got back into using what I had – which is a nub of a pencil. I don’t know. It’s black and has a smugger at the end.

I started using my Infallible Lacquer Liner 24H gel eyeliner which isn't as hard to apply as one might think. It’s a little easier than a pencil. I use it on weekends and when I am feeling sassy. I like a good eyeliner, I said I couldn't love eyeliner anymore because of my face problems.

No more!

Lipstick
First, I always hated lipstick. I basically eat my lips (I believe it is scientifically called Morsicatio buccarum but it falls under the excoriation disorder spectrum but it generally an OCD thing).

Ok, I am in love with a bold, red lip right now. I mean, not at work. Just, in my personlz life. It doesn't stop me from biting my lips totally - it does make me think about not doing it. Then I have a nibble while I'm thinking about thinking about biting my lip or not biting my lip.

I wear Revlon Matte Lipstick, Really Red -  I think. Mine is in a red tube and I can't find that. And I'm took lazy to look for the tube.

For work, I ended up picking up a soft pink for my lips. Again, too lazy to go look at what it is. I'm sure it's Revlon.

The color is just a little something to balance out my face. I don't ever reapply, so, by the end of the day it's all gone - but that red lip is a favorite these days outside of work.

So, this is what I look like now when I am at work. The lighting isn't awesome but I think you can see I am wearing makeup - but not too much. I have on the pink shade of eye shadow which is soft and a little shimmery. I got a compliment on it, already!



Here is what I look like with my red lip and gold tattoo eye shadow!



Lesson Learned
It's not totally about vanity, though I do love vanity. It's about using your time and resources in the best way possible. When it came to my face, I just wasn't happy. This little adjustment - which was mostly experiments that did work out - really gave me a nice boost! I feel better, I feel like I'm not wasting my time or spinning my wheels.

0 comments:

Post a Comment