Feb 26, 2014

Franklin Institute:MacGyver Night

Yeah, Bob and I were there.

The official ad

How Was It?
It was great. I don't have a lot of pictures, though. My guy, Bob, is a super-MacGyver fan so we were busting through all the exhibits - in a good way!

Most of the exhibits were tables with actual hands-on things based on MacGyver episodes. MacGyver is rich is science, actually, and while what the show showed seemed like magic, it had a good grounding in real things - real like science.

I read some people saying the science was "dumb" - I would be cautious about using such a word. The science was accessible and hands-on. Sure, there was nothing very advanced about setting some helium on fire, but how often do you see that happen? I don't think it was meant to be intense or that in-depth - it was meant to be fun and interesting.

They had a guy picking locks. Whoa. Not really that advanced, but, you could try it yourself. They had a guy making sugar-glass (and giving out some recipes for peanut brittle) that you could smash and eat. It was interactive and there was free booze - and you could see how MacGyver did what he did. Or rather, the science behind the production of everything.

You can read a more professional view of this fun stuff here in the Philly Magazine

Future Plans
To be honest, in checking out everything the Franklin Institute has going on, I sort of want to go back and check out other things. I can't believe I missed a live heart dissection - but, there is a exhibit about the science behind carnivals coming up in April I really would love to go to.

Woot!

The Adventure Continues
Do you have a suggestion or want to see me attempt something and write about it? Drop me an email at AdventuringAmanda@gmail.com with your suggestions

0 comments:

Post a Comment