Feb 5, 2014

Beauty or Value

A wealthy king was touring his kingdom alone on his finest horse. Along the way, he was beset by a band of thieves. They robbed him, stripped him of his finery and ran off with his horse. He began the long walk home and found himself lost. Hungry, thirsty and tired he came across a well. He eagerly pulled up the bucket for a drink – and to his dismay, he found only beautiful. gold.

People are obsessed with beauty. Or rather, they hear enough about beauty to become obsessed with it. Everything needs to be beautiful and you can never call anything that could be defined as a noun anything but beautiful.

And here’s the problem.

When everyone uses the term “beauty” or “beautiful” they mean “has value.” Try it. Take anything that has the word “beauty” in it and replace it with “has value” and it will mean the same thing.

Because only beautiful things have value so we need to tell everyone and everything they are beautiful.

I think it’s a problem. And I think it’s very defeating.

When someone asks if something is beautiful, we know what it means. It is a question - Do you think this item is visually appealing – or appealing to your senses? Because we are all human, some things are not appealing.

I’m sorry, I don’t find baby’s beautiful. I don’t find certain art beautiful. I don’t think some people are beautiful.

But I still value them.

We are building campaigns like stairs, one on top of another trying to make the word “beautiful” mean “valuable.”

Maybe we should stop convincing ourselves we find things “beautiful” and start the thought process that beauty doesn't mean value.

Listen, World: I value you for so much more than just your ability to please my senses. I will not be ashamed when my senses are pleased but I will not be callus when something doesn’t please them, either.

Beauty does not equal value.

The Adventure Continues
Do you have a suggestion or want to see me attempt something and write about it? Drop me an email at AdventuringAmanda@gmail.com with your suggestions

0 comments:

Post a Comment