Oct 23, 2011

Manda's Century: Winter Chills


We're about at the end of October. I remember a year ago I was heading into a massive relapse. Ahh, October 2010. You were easier than October 2009 when I was on IV therapy again.

Anyhow, this week has been a short of weak week - I got a 10 mile ride in on Tuesday but missed Thursday. I had to do laundry. I wasn't wearing underwear, that's how long it had been since I last did laundry.

For my long ride, I got in a 21 mile ride and got some much needed time with my bike-buddy. She had been MIA since she hurt her ankle around the time we did the Buck's County Covered Bridged Ride.

Movin'
Yes, I wanted to do 40, but it was important to make sure my bike-buddy wasn't going to overdo it or hurt herself. It was a nice ride with all the leaves changing color and less weirdos out on the path. We even got two "Happy Halloween!" calls because of our altered helmets.

I know I should be buckling down harder for this century ride. A hardcore athlete might have said, "Hey, bike-buddy, I am doing 40, suck it! Gotta keep it movi'!"

Ew. Can you imagine? Brutal.

Pass Lessons Applied
I do have to admit, one of the lessons being sick taught me, especially when I started to get better, how much I wished I could be sick again. Part of me actually wished I would relapse because I was more accustom to dealing with being sick, medications and the fear of dying than being "normal." To me, it was more scary dealing with the freedom of choice - when I was sick, didn't matter what I wanted to do or if someone invited me to do something or if I had dreams. . .the answer was always simple - I had to deal with the illness first. It made all the decisions for me. The idea of having a choice was totally alien to me.

Part of this century ride is the journey, is the training. It is easier for me to be working toward something than accomplishing it or, as sickness taught me, breaking down and having to forget about it. Perhaps I will find myself "self sabotaging" my own training in order to stay in training. What happens when you hit you goals and accomplish a dream, normal people? I never was able to set a goal for myself or a dream and accomplish it in my life.

Next Step
So, Monday-Tuesday I want to hit my 10 mile mark again. The long rides are good, but, I need to make sure I am not losing focus of my hilly short rides. Life, like biking, isn't all smooth, flat land so I need some practice with hills and cars and giant pot holes.

I also did notice I gained about 4lbs and I have a bit of a belly. I am hoping to get that back in line though I don't eat that badly. Always something.

I also need to actual invest in some winter biking gear. When you are riding a bike in the chill, it gets a lot colder. Probably should get a coat or something. I see all the summer stuff is on sale, but, maybe I can find some cheap, good winter gear. Nothing over $10 would be nice. . .

Manda's Century
You can follow my biking adventures by checking out my Manda's Century Ride page. It lists (in convenient bullet form) the lessons I have learned and has links to each of my biking related posts.

Yes, I know this has nothing to do with dating. Shove it. I own this blog.


Be Part of the Adventure
Do you have a suggestion or want to see me attempt something? Drop me an email at AdventuringAmanda@gmail.com with your suggestion.

0 comments:

Post a Comment