Jan 30, 2017

Things I Eat: Roast Five Spice Duck

I did follow the roasting recipe from The Hungry Mouse because I never actually roasted a duck before. I have roasted other things: chicken, beef, my husband, select friends, vegetables, etc.

You can totally check out the Hungry Mouse for the details there, the method is simple:

  1. Score the skin, cut off excess fat, and poke it all over
  2. Salt and truss
  3. Roast at 300 degrees for 1 hour, breast-side up
  4. Poke, flip, roast for 1 hour, breast-side down
  5. Poke, flip, roast for 1 hour, breast-side up
  6. Poke, flip, roast for 1 hour, breast side down
  7. Poke, flip, blast at 400 degrees for 10 minutes, breast-side up
  8. Brush with glaze
  9. Finish at 400 degrees for 5-7 minutes
  10. Rest, carve and serve

So, I scored the skin with my dull knives and inability. I also didn't know how to remove the quills still in the skin. I ended up getting some tweezers and spent a good deal of time finding all those little pricks. And also wondering if I could become a vegan with all my issues. I do love duck and I got this duck from a place where the creatures are treated humanely.

This is the D'Artagnan Rohan Duck, Whole and D'Artagnan seems to have a good philosophy on animal care. So. I did my best for this fest.

Anyhow, I pretty much massacred the bird scoring it. Whatever. And I didn't have bakers twine to truss it right. Whatever. OVEN!



I made my own glaze of 1/4 cup honey, a lot of McCormick Chinese 5 Spice Blend - because McCormick never lets me down.

Fast forward, boom!


I am not a great carver - which is fine because it all fell apart into deliciousness! The skin was crispy, the insides were delicious and the glaze was great!


Nice. Duck. 

post signature

0 comments:

Post a Comment