Nov 12, 2014

My Hair - Hypercritical Discovery

Can we just chat a minute about things that have destroyed me for all other things? Like Gold Bond Lotion. . .totally can’t use any other lotion.

And Mr. Love Tiger, the husband, who ruined me for other men.

Background
Anyhow, right before I got married I had my “hair trial” which is a fancy way of letting a professional hairdresser play with your hair so s/he knows what to do as to not spoil your special day.

I had a ton of stuff in my hair during the trial and I left pretty much looking like a wreck - so much so, they refunded some of the money for the trial. Not like I could go out on the town with my "trial hair."


In fact, it took me a couple washes to even get it clean.

In retrospect, my hair is far too fine in texture to hold any bump, puff, tease, curl or, anything. All my hair styles end up looking like I just pulled back the crown of my hair. Even if it gets set before hand. I sometimes have my hair up in little curls and pinned back as a hair style for hours and hours - even those curls won't stay.


I think I came to the conclusion that if I get my hair processional done, it needs to be all up which is something I can do on my own. .without losing $150. And I can use this handy candlestick to beat people down without my hair getting in the way!



And, yes, my hair looked great at my wedding. I mean, no one tells a bride she is a wreck.


The curls lasted about 3 hours.

The Point
Anyhow, the point of this rant is – at my hair trial Liz, the hairdresser, started combing through the frizzy mat of my hair. It’s sort of sticky and straight in some places and curly in others. I had given up on life a lot, so, I actually didn't even rinse out all the condition in my hair – which left a silicon mess in the back-ish area.

I had been using L’oreal Advanced Haircare stuff – like the smoothing or moisturizing type. Whatever smelled good. I thought it was doing some good. I mean, my hair is long, fine and comes in various shapes.

She suggested I use Pureology shampoo. She did tell me she doesn't like to recommend shampoos, really, but she knew this would be good for me and she wanted me to use it for a week up to the wedding so my hair would behave.

Pureology is actually created for colored hair – mine is not colored. It is sulfate free, vegan and suppose to be good for every hair type and all that. It sort of reminds me of Wen – at least, the rhetoric does. Something pure, good for all hairtypes, not a lot of chemicals and no dead animals.

Cool.

The Shock
I went to some supermarkets then Target and finally Beans Beauty to find this thing.













Sure, Amazon had it, but, I had a week to go. So, I bought myself some of the Purify Shampoo and the Precious Oil Conditioner.


And it didn't even smell like musky flowers. I mean, I liked the scent – I thought it would smell like high-fashion stank or hippies. It smelled like neither.

Because I’m always looking for a finishing spray or some type of spray product I also got the Colour Fanatic (which I called the 21 because I didn't see that name anywhere until I actually looked I up here)  which you spray on damp hair to help prime, detangle, polish, grown unicorns, smooth, scent, veganize, quick dry, condition. . .blah blah.

That was like $60 for my purchase.

W.T.F.

Well beyond my price point.

So, I used it. And I told the hubby if he even touched it, I would kill him.

The Results
Holy smokes, batman! The difference is amazing! I thought I would easily go back to my cheaper shampoos and not the ones costing $25-30 a bottle. I don’t even know how. . .

Shampoo/Conditioner:

  • I like the smell of the shampoo – I smell good!
  • I use less – I have a LOT of hair and a little bit goes a long way!
  • The conditioner is like pure moisture – my hair sucks it up!
  • Everything rinses clean – no more patches of left over chemicals!

The spray:

  • My hair dries faster with a few squirts of the spray – I have a lot of hair, this cuts down on my bathroom time a lot!
  • It combs so easy – Not one time did I have to cut anything out of my hair!
  • My hair is VIBRANT – A friend at work thought I actually dyed my hair in white strips it was so shinny and my natural color is out of this world!


The Test
On May 8, 2007, Pureology was acquired by L'Oréal under the professional products division, and relocated to its headquarters in New York City.

A lot of Internet people were saying how since the acquisition, the L’Oreal EverPure line was the same. Some people even checked the ingredients and said they were the same.

I ended up buying some of the EverPure which was cheaper because I forgot to pack the Pureology on my flitterwochen.

What a letdown.

First - it didn't smell bad, but, it didn't smell good. I don't know how to describe it. Some comments online said it smelled manly. It is something like mint (I don't like mint) and rosemary or thyme or something. It's not bad. . but. . it's not. . .good.

Second, my hair quickly returned to being. . .what is was before. I had to take the straightening iron to it to tame it.

I did still have the spray, which helped, but, I had whole patches of frizzy, nasty hair. Sometimes, I spray a little of it into my dry hair or onto my hands to smooth over some little flyaways. The poor spray did it's best, but, without it's compadras, it was a losing battle.

I was sad.

Until I came home and could cuddle with my Pureology shampoo and condition in my shower.

The Future
My hair is super-long right now. I kept it that way for the wedding. If my Movember Team raises $1,000, I will bob my hair. Man - even in this picture you can see how rich my hair looks - the sort of redish-alburn highlights, the fact that I didn't do a damn thing to it than blow dry it. . .


I was really looking forward to this so I could manage my hair again. And now. . .now I don’t know. My hair looks great, feels great and is so easy to deal with. Sure, long hair takes longer to deal with, but, I don’t have to use any additional products or anything.

*sigh*

I am basically out of my first bottles of the Purelogy. I’m sure I can find it in the budget to spend $40 a month on this salon brand shampoo.


0 comments:

Post a Comment