Mar 5, 2014

Special Edition: Ashes to Ashes

Thanks Ashes to Go for making this Lent pretty easy for me. Sure, as a Catholic a lot of other Catholics say you need to go to a full mass on Ash Wednesday - but it's not actually a sacrament, it's a sign of devotion. 

I got my ashes from a nice Episcopalian at the train station. I felt less guilty since last year I was in a bind and unable to leave work early - and when I ran out of there to church, there was actually no mass. I felt bad. I like to kick some things off right. 

Personal feelings aside - it's nice to see something like faith in the streets away from stone walls and away from awkwardness. While everyone should make time for whatever faith they believe in, it can be hard to coordinate such things. In this way, I cause no disruption to those who relied on me and still was able to practice a bit of what I believe. 

Pretty sweet deal!

How long did it take to get your ashes?
As long as it took me to park my car and walk up to the minister and say, "I'm here for my ashes!" and him to say, "Remember you came from ashes and to ashes you will return." (or close to that).

How long do you keep your ashes on?
I kept them on for about 3 hours. Then I felt self-conscience. Not because I didn't want people to know I am of a Christian faith but I believe (and was raised) you should not use you faith to draw attention to yourself.

What did you give up for lent?
Alcohol, chips and other luxuries. I will do my best to think well, speak well and do good. 

--------------------------------------------------------------
The Adventure Continues
Do you have a suggestion or want to see me attempt something and write about it? Drop me an email at AdventuringAmanda@gmail.com with your suggestions

0 comments:

Post a Comment