Apr 2, 2014

Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI)

I took the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator test again. This time there was an improvement – I scored two points toward the T. Making me an XXTX.

Whoa - One study found personality disorders as described by the DSM overall to correlate modestly with I, N, T, and P, though the associations varied significantly by disorder. The only two disorders with significant correlations of all four MBTI dimensions were schizotypal (INTP) and obsessive-compulsive personality disorder (ISTJ). (That's Wikipedia!)

But, let me explain.

Me Explaining Area
Every time I take the Myers-Briggs  - which every conference and “personal development” type waste of time event makes you do – I fail it. I come up even-steven in each category or three out of four. I was told once I needed to retake it. I guess some people believe these tests are somehow infallible or they overcompensate by launching into discussions of free-will.

I think it’s better to take these tests as a foundation for learning how the world moves around the way you move around the world. No – that’s not an error. The world does move around us and we, in turn, move around the world. When you take a test like the Myers-Briggs, it’s better to then approach someone you want to know or work with and chat about past perceptions and future issues.

Help From My Friends
Bob, my dashingly handsome fiancee decided I'm an ENTP. I suppose, as long as it's flattering, I'm all for it.

As are most people.

Rant Time
I, however, hate it. I really hate how everything seems to start with taking this personality test.

I also equally hate people using their type as an excuse – the most obvious are the extroverts and introverts. There are really very few true extroverts and introverts in the world. Most of us weigh pros and cons in specific situations and make choices. But, don’t tell that to a MBTI fan.

MBTI fans – the new militant vegan!

Next time, on a Manda rants: I love vegetables and animals – one I love too little, one I love too much.

0 comments:

Post a Comment